Thursday, August 20

Gasataya seeks MPBL probe into alleged game-fixing; league expels Bacolod team

Bacolod City Mayor Greg Gasataya has formally asked the Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL) and the Games and Amusements Board (GAB) to conduct an immediate investigation into alleged game manipulation during the July 28 match between the Bulacan Kuyas and the Bacolod MassKara.

In a letter dated Thursday, July 30, addressed to MPBL officials, Gasataya cited widespread public concern over the Bacolod team’s performance during its 100-64 loss at the Pasay Astrodome.

The mayor said the team’s nearly eight-minute scoring drought in the fourth quarter, unusual player rotations, and several missed scoring opportunities fueled online speculation about possible game-fixing.

“As a huge basketball fan myself, I am mindful that scoring slumps may occur. But the passive on-court demeanor, unusual player rotations, and highly irregular lapses flagged by both the public and game commentators evidently point to a potential violation of sports integrity and professional standards,” Gasataya said in the letter.

He clarified that the Bacolod MassKara team is neither personally sanctioned by him nor officially by the Bacolod City governmen, but stressed that it carries the city’s name and identity.

Gasataya said the city cannot allow the name of Bacolod to be associated with illegal game-fixing or irregular betting schemes.

The mayor requested the MPBL to immediately conduct a technical audit of the entire fourth-quarter game footage, including player movement and rotation metrics.

He also asked the league to require the team’s management, coaching staff and players to submit sworn explanations regarding their performance during the game.

In addition, Gasataya requested that the MPBL share the results of its investigation with the Bacolod City government and the GAB to determine whether executive actions, franchise permit reviews or legal sanctions should be imposed on those found responsible.

“The integrity of the Liga ng Bawat Pilipino relies entirely on fair play and public trust,” the mayor said.

He added that this was not the first time a basketball team carrying the name “Bacolod” had been linked to a similar controversy and urged the league to give the matter its “most urgent and favorable attention.”

The letter was also furnished to GAB Chairperson Francisco Rivera for appropriate action.

MPBL RESPONDS

Meanwhile,    Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL).  in  statement issued Thursday   reiterated “its unyielding commitment to preserving the integrity, fairness, and credibility of the sport”.

In light of recent allegations concerning potential game-manipulation, the League office has officially issued Red Cards to the involved players and coaches of Bacolod Masskara, it said.

“All individuals served with Red Cards are permanently banned from the league. The League is also announcing that the franchise’s participation for the remainder of the season has been cancelled”, the MPBL statement said.

The League stressed that these measures are preventive and administrative as the league will continue its investigation together with relevant government agencies.

This is not the first time that the team concerned has been warned of its actions as previous incidents were also flagged by the Office of the Commissioner, the MPBL said.

In fact, some members of the team have been issued Yellow Cards earlier in the season, it said.

“The Red Card system was personally initiated by our Founder and Chairman Manny Pacquiao as a way to combat game manipulation, the MPBL said.

This rigorous oversight system and monitoring are fully recognized and supported by the Games and Amusements Board (GAB).

The MPBL stands firm against any attempt to tarnish the sanctity of Philippine basketball.

Swift and decisive action will continue to be taken against any conduct that threatens the trust of our fans, team owners, and the public, it said.

The MPBL deeply regrets that the spirit of the game and the trust of our community have been tested by these events, it added.

“We vow to the public, our fans, and the entire basketball community that we will remain relentless and uncompromising in eradicating game-manipulation from Philippine basketball. The integrity of the game will always come first,” the MPBL said.*

[sibwp_form id=1]
Secured By miniOrangeSecured By miniOrange