Bacolod Mayor Alfredo Abelardo “Albee” Benitez called on the members of the Sangguniang Panlungsod to be transparent, accountable and responsive to the needs of Bacolodnons at the 11th SP inaugural session at the Bacolod City Government Center on Wednesday, July 6.
Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran, in turn, assured the mayor of the SP’s support for his programs and the legislative needs of his administration.
The mayor called on the SP to be ethical, participative and consultative, and to bring back the trust and confidence of the people in government.
“I called for good governance,” the mayor said in an interview.
Benitez said he expects a smooth relationship with the SP, with the majority of its members coming from his Team Asenso.
A proposal has been made for regular meetings between the executive and the legislative branches, Benitez said.
During the session committee chairmanships were also assigned to elected councilors Jude Thaddeus Sayson, Israel Salanga, Cindy Rojas, Em Ang, Al Victor Espino, Vladimir Gonzalez, Renecito Novero, Jason Villarosa, Claudio Jesus Puentevella, Simplicia Distrito, Celia Flor and Psyche Marie Sy, Lady Gles Pallen – Liga nga mga Barangay president and Ayesha Joy Villafor -Sangguniang Kabataan Federation president.
The following are the chairpersons of the various SP committees:
1. Committee on Agriculture and Fisheries
2. Committee on Appropriation and Finance
3. Committee on Cooperatives and Livelihood Programs
1. Committee on Education
2. Committee on Laws and Ordinances
3. Committee on Transportation and Traffic
4. Committee on Urban Planning
1. Committee on Energy
2. Committee on Environment
3. Committee on Health
1. Committee on Fire, Social Defense, and Natural Disasters
2. Committee on Public Works
1. Committee on Women, Gender, Family, and Childcare
2. Committee on Markets and Slaughterhouse
3. Committee on Senior Citizens
1. Committee on Ways and Means
2. Committee on Trade and Commerce
3. Committee on Urban Poor, Housing, and Resettlement
1. Committee on Information and Communication
2. Committee on Tourism
1. Committee on Human Resource and Development
2. Committee on Social Services
1. Committee on Government Assets
1. Committee on History, Culture, and Arts
1. Committee on Human Rights
1. Committee on Labor, Management Relations, and OFW
Committee on Barangay Affairs
Committee on Youth, Sports, and SK Affairs
Familiaran was also appointed legislative liaison officer of the SP with the executive branch and Espino was named floor leader.
Benitez said he asked the SP to concur the appointment of City Administrator Pacifico Maghari III and City Legal Officer Romeo Carlos Ting Jr.
Familiaran said pending the submission of a document for their concurrence of Maghari’s appointment the SP granted him authority to sign checks and documents.*