Four Bacolod City policemen and a non-uniformed personnel have been relieved from their assignments pending an investigation into their alleged link to an illegal police recruitment scam, which involved mostly residents of La Castellana town in Negros Occidental.
They were relieved and they turned in their firearms but it is not an indication that they are guilty, no case has been filed against them yet, Col. Noel Aliño, Bacolod police director, said Sunday, October 1.
Charges for large scale estafa were filed against La Castellana Councilor Donato Domaguit and Mary June Abao Delos Santos before the Negros Occidental Prosecutor’s Office on September 20 for their involvement in the alleged illegal police recruitment scam.
EMS Randy Bando, Negros Occidental Provincial Police Internal Affairs Service head, said during the conduct of their investigation the five from the Bacolod City Police Office were linked by some complainants to Delos Santos.
They were allegedly seen in the company of Delos Santos but were not directly linked to collecting illegal recruitment money, he said.
Bando said his office has submitted the final report of their findings to the PNP regional office for further investigation.
Aliño said the recruitment activities allegedly happened since 2016 but he can’t give a statement on the matter as the investigation is ongoing.
He said any wrongdoing will not be tolerated and those at fault will face the consequences.
However, so far only allegations were made with no case filed yet, Aliño said.
Cases should be filed so those implicated can defend themselves to be fair, he said.
The burden of proof lies with the accuser, Aliño added.
The five are ready to cooperate with investigators, he added.*