Monday, August 17

Top Stories

Neg. Occ. in Top 3 for EXCELL award

Neg. Occ. in Top 3 for EXCELL award

Community, Top Stories
Negros Occidental is one of the top three contenders in Western Visayas for the EXCELL (Excellence in Local Governance) Award given by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), Provincial Administrator Rayfrando Diaz said Thursday, November 17.The EXCELL Award recognizes the best managed local governments that demonstrate best practices, achievements and innovations in governance, administration, social services, economic development, environmental management and local legislation.Negros Occidental already made it to the top three in Region 6, Diaz said.DILG representatives are arriving in Negros Occidental Friday for validation and final screening, he said.The provincial government will present the various innovations it has implemented such as the Capito...
Whale shark trapped in net rescued

Whale shark trapped in net rescued

Top Stories
Coast Guard personnel help rescue the trapped whale shark Wednesday.*PCG photoA whale shark that was trapped inside a net in the waters of Barangay Banago, Bacolod City, was rescued Wednesday, November 16.The fishermen immediately informed the authorities about the incident, which prompted the Philippine Coast Guard to deploy their personnel to help the whale shark, locally known as butanding.They dragged the whale shark back to the middle of the sea and released it.*
Capitol employees’ bonuses expected to be less this year

Capitol employees’ bonuses expected to be less this year

Top Stories
The Negros Occidental provincial government employees’ bonuses this December are expected to be lower than last year.That is because the Commission on Audit has disallowed the provincial government from granting the Incentive Benefit for Exemplary Services (IBES).The provincial government will only grant bonuses that it is allowed to give, Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson said on Wednesday, November 16.“We will stop the policy of giving what we know will be denied at the end of day,” he said, pointing out that they have never won an appeal to the COA ruling.The denied amounts will have to be deducted from the employees retirement fund, he said.If the COA eventually allows the granting of the IBES, the provincial government will continue to give it to its e...
Scout ranger dies, 4 others injured in restobar shooting

Scout ranger dies, 4 others injured in restobar shooting

Top Stories
Bullets at the scene of the shooting incident in Barangay Singcang-Airport, Bacolod City.*BCPO photoA 26-year-old Scout Ranger was shot to death while four others were injured after they figured in a verbal confrontation at a restobar in Barangay Singcang-Airport, Bacolod City, at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, November 16.Killed was Private First Class Edmark Iwayan of of Barangay Balintawak, Escalante City.Maj. Joery Puerto, Police Station 8 chief, said Iwayan was drinking with his army comrade, PFC Joebert Villagracia, and the owner of the bar, Joebert Visem, who is also a former member of the Army, when the suspect and his group arrived.The suspect identified as 41-year-old accountant Ulysis Carampatana of Sta. Lucia, Brgy .Taculing, insisted to be served with drinks but the rest...
‘Love’ yields over P300K worth of drugs in Bacolod

‘Love’ yields over P300K worth of drugs in Bacolod

Top Stories
The buy-bust operation at Barangay 1, Bacolod City, on Wednesday.*BCPO photoA woman, who was tagged as a high-value target by the police, was arrested in a drug buy-bust operation at Barangay 1, Bacolod City, Wednesday, November 16.Nabbed was 33-year-old Lyna “Love” Mabunay, who is an online seller.During the bust, the suspect allegedly sold P2,000 worth of suspected shabu to a police poseur buyer.On her arrest she also yielded 51 grams of illegal drugs worth P346,800, a sling bag and P500 in cash proceeds, the police said.Mabunay is now detained at Police Station 2, and will face drug charges.Mabunay’s selling of bags and beauty products online was believed to be a front of her alleged illegal activity, the City Drug Enforcement Unit said.In 2019, her live-in p...
House commends 5-year-old world youth jiu-jitsu champion

House commends 5-year-old world youth jiu-jitsu champion

Top Stories
World youth jiu-jitsu champion 5-year-old Aleia Aielle Aguilar at the House of Representatives on Wednesday. *House of Representatives photoThe House of Representatives has passed a resolution congratulating and commending 5-year-old Aleia Aielle Aguilar, who has roots in Negros Occidental, for being the youngest world youth jiu-jitsu champion, her father Negrense Arthur Alvin Aguilar said Wednesday, November 16.His daughter won the championship in the Kids' 1 under-16 kg event of the 2022 Abu Dhabi World Youth Jiu-Jitsu Competition in the United Arab Emirates on November 13 to 14.House Resolution 546 introduced by Rep. Jose J. Teves Jr. (TGP Partylist) said the 5-year-old defeated several competitors from around the world, including UAE's Maria El Halabi, in the semifinal matc...
Benitez finalizing power plan to bring down electricity cost

Benitez finalizing power plan to bring down electricity cost

Top Stories
Mayor Alfredo Abelardo Benitez said on Wednesday, November 16, that he is finalizing a power plan to bring down the cost of electricity in Bacolod City and Negros Occidental.“I will be announcing a power plan on how we can stabilize prices and have a secure power system,” he said.Benitez said he is just completing the details of the plan to make sure it is full proof.President Ferdinand Marcos in a meeting with Benitez last month asked him to present his position paper on how to bring down power cost to the Energy Regulatory Commission.The withdrawal of the proposed 300 MW liquefied natural gas power plant in San Carlos City will not affect the power needs of Negros and Bacolod, Benitez said.Power supply from the solar farms in Negros Occidental is sufficient, and with ...
City employees’ bonuses range from P47K to P148K in Bacolod

City employees’ bonuses range from P47K to P148K in Bacolod

Top Stories
Bacolod Mayor Alfredo Benitez swears in Paul Biñas Anieve as the new barangay captain of Mandalagan on Wednesday*Bacolod PIO photoThe 1,300 Bacolod City government employees will receive bonuses ranging from P47,517 to P148,891 before the year ends, Mayor Alfredo Abelardo Benitez announced on Wednesday, November 16.Benitez made the announcement after meeting with City Budget Officer Imelda Williams, Treasurer Arlene Memoria and Administrator Pacifico Maghari, following his return from COVID-19 self-isolation.Bacolod City government regular, co-terminus, plantilla casual employees and retirees within the calendar year will receive a maximum Collective Negotiation Agreement (CNA) incentive of P25,000 each, Maghari said.The CNA, granted by virtue of Budget Circular No. 2022-3,...
Ceneco’s November rate up 86 centavos per kWh

Ceneco’s November rate up 86 centavos per kWh

Business, Top Stories
The average residential rate of Central Negros Electric Cooperative Inc. for November is P16.2972 per kilowatt hour or an increase of P0.8635 /kWh, from last month's rate of P15.4337/kWh, CENECO acting general manager Ervin Stan Leo Ticar announced on Wednesday, November 16.He attributed the P 0.8635/kWh rate hike to the increase in the Palm Concepcion Power Corporation rate from P10.5764 to P10.9335 and the upsurge in fuel prices.The average price of the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market also increased from P9.3543 to P10.2527 as they resumed collection of congestion and other applicable charges beginning October 2, with the restoration and energization of the transmission line between Cebu and Negros, Ticar added.The pass-through charges equivalent to P15.1106/kWh of the tota...
Victorias poultry farm closed

Victorias poultry farm closed

Top Stories
Victorias Mayor Javier Miguel Benitez during the closure of the poultry farm.*A poultry farm at Hda. Timawa, Barangay XI in Victorias City, Negros Occidental, was closed down on Tuesday, November 14.The Victorias Business Permits and Licensing Office (BPLO) shutdown its operations for non-compliance with the required standard minimum distance of 500 meters away from a major road, a press release from Victorias City on Wednesday, November 16, said.It also did not relocate within 30 days following an inspection conducted on June 7 as recommended by the Joint Inspection Team (JIT), and lacks a business permit, the press release added.Mayor Javier Miguel Benitez visited the site and joined the BPLO in closing the establishment.It was the first closure that happened under hi...
Secured By miniOrangeSecured By miniOrange