Negros Occidental and Bacolod City will be under general community quarantine (GCQ) in July, one notch stricter than its current modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).
This was announced by presidential spokesman Harry Roque during President Rodrigo’s Weekly Talk to the people aired live Monday night, June 28.
Also placed under GCQ for July in Western Visayas are Guimaras, Aklan, Antique and Capiz.
Iloilo City, Iloilo province and Negros Oriental will remain under modified enhance community quarantine (MECQ) until July 15.
Mayor Evelio Leonardia Monday night said he was not aware that Bacolod had been placed under GCQ, but it would mean further limiting of persons at public venues, which has already been implemented in Bacolod City even while under MECQ.
Not allowed under GCQ are the operation of entertainment and recreational venues, amusement parks, fairs, playgrounds, kiddie rides, traditional cockfighting and cockpits, Roque said.
Meanwhile, Bacolod City remains a moderate risk area for COVID-19 and Negros Occidental a low risk area, the Department of Health reported Monday.
The risk classification of the entire Western Visayas is low, the DOH also said.
Also classified as moderate risk areas were Aklan, Guimaras and Iloilo City, while low risk areas are Antique, Capiz and Iloilo province.
Generally, the health care utilization rate in Western Visayas is still at moderate risk, the DOH added.
However, the Western Visayas positivity rate from June 17 to 27 increased from 8 to 8.4 percent indicating increased transmission of COVID-19, it added.
Negros Occidental had 137 new COVID-19 cases and Bacolod City had 130 on Monday, the DOH said.
Bacolod City has 1,859 active COVID-19 cases and Negros Occidental has 1,923, the DOH added.
Negros Occidental Provicial Administrator Rayfrando Diaz reminded the public to observe basic health protocols, limit interaction with people, and to avoid unnecessary travel or movement.
The virus has been hitting whole families, including 2 to 7 year old children, he said.
There as some people who are still engaging in cockfighting that has been banned to prevent the spread of COVID-19, Diaz added.*