Sunday, August 23

21-year-old spearfisher found dead off San Carlos shore

A 21-year-old man was found dead underwater off the coast of San Carlos City, Negros Occidental, on Sunday morning, Aug. 23, after he failed to return home from spearfishing.

Police identified the victim as Angelo Caliguid Santiago, a resident of Sitio Mabuni Proper, Brgy. Guadalupe.

San Carlos police said Caliguid left his home at around 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 22, to go spearfishing.

His father became worried when he had not returned by around 6 a.m. Sunday and went out on a fishing boat with a neighbor to search for him.

During the search, they spotted a floating container locally known as a “buya,” which Caliguid had been using while spearfishing.

The victim’s father swam toward the area and found his son underwater and unresponsive.

Caliguid’s body was retrieved and brought back to shore before authorities were notified of the incident.

Police said an initial examination found no apparent visible injuries or indications of foul play.

Police notified the city health officer to conduct a post-mortem examination and determine the cause of death.*

[sibwp_form id=1]
Secured By miniOrangeSecured By miniOrange