Murder charges have not been filed against the persons behind the massacre of the Fausto family in Barangay Buenavista, Himamaylan City, on June 24 because their relatives can no longer be found, Vincent Parra, CHR-Negros Occidental head, said on Monday, September 25.
Killed in the massacre were farmer Rolly Fausto, 52, his wife, Emilda, 49, and their sons Ben, 11, and Raben, 15.
Parra said he was informed that the murder charges could not be filed by the police as Emily, the daughter of the Faustos, could not be located to grant her consent and is believed to no longer be in Negros Occidental.
However, Parra believes the police can still file the murder charges even without the participation of the Fausto kin.
The only charge filed by the police against members of the New People’s Army was for grave coercion committed against a neighbor of the Faustos, whom they allegedly forced to pinpoint the house of the victims, Parra said.
Lt. Col. Reynante Jomocan, Himamaylan police chief, said the Faustos actually have four other children who were not killed in the massacre.
Jomocan said the coordinator for the family whom he met last week informed him that they will surface to sign documents.
“We are waiting for them to surface,“ he said, adding that they have gone into hiding for their security.
Jamocon said if they give the police the authority to file the murder case they will do so.
The police said the NPA was responsible for the massacre. The NPA, on the other hand, blames it on the Army.*