Negros Occidental Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson said Friday, August 13, that even if two Delta variant cases have been detected in Bacolod City the COVID-19 situation is still manageable.
The swabs of the two Delta cases were taken on July 15 and 19 that is nearing one month, but since July 15 the number of COVID-19 cases in Bacolod have been going down, he pointed out.
Negros Occidental’s COVID-19 cases have also been on the decline, he said.
No Delta variants have been detected in Negros Occidental so far, Lacson said.
Lacson said he was informed this week that 30 samples from Negros Occidental have been sent to the Philippine Genome Center for genome sequencing and the results are being awaited.
He reiterated the need for everyone to continue to practice basic health protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Provincial Administrator Rayfrando Diaz said the current protocols being implemented in Negros Occidental and the mass vaccination drive appears to be working as the COVID-19 cases in the province have dropped to three digits.
“We hope to maintain that and keep the momentum going until we reach below 100 active cases,” Diaz said.
“That would be very good for our economy, and good for the peace of mind of Negrenses,” he added.*