An open live electrical wire hanging over the roof of a house is believed to have triggered the fire that hit Purok Magtiayon, Brgy. 10, Bacolod City, on Thursday, Chief Inspector Rodel Legaspi, Bacolod fire marshal, said Friday, February 17.
The wind may have caused the wire touching the roof of the house of Edson Lorania to spark and cause a short circuit that triggered the fire, he said.
No one was at the house of Lorania when the fire broke out, he said.
Barangay 10 Captain Melvin Bravo said the fire destroyed 22 houses and damaged four, affecting 34 families with 117 individuals.
The Bureau of Fire Protection initially said that 21 houses were destroyed and ten were damaged.
The land where the houses were located is government owned so those affected will be able to return to the area, Bravo said.
The majority of the fire victims sought temporary shelter at the Bacolod Arts, Youth and Sports (BAYS) Center at San Juan Street where they have received assistance from the city government and private groups, Bravo said.*