Digicast Negros

Senate split on BSKE postponement, hearing Monday: Ejercito

Senator Joseph Victor Ejercito at a press conference in Silay City.*CPG photo

The Senate will hold a hearing  on Monday morning to deliberate on the proposed postponement of the November 2 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections (BSKE), Senator Joseph Victor Ejercito said Sunday, August 23.

Ejercito, at a press conference in Silay City, Negros Occidental, said that the Senate remains split on the issue, with almost half of the members favoring a delay and the rest advocating to proceed as scheduled.

“We will see and weigh which path will be more advantageous. As of now, based on an informal survey among senators, it is neck and neck, though those in favor of postponement have a slight lead,” Ejercito said.

 Ejercito said while his personal preference is to proceed with the BSKE  given that the polls have already been previously postponed, he has not reached a final decision and remains open to reviewing the arguments presented during the proceedings.

“We will hear the rationale for why it needs to be postponed and evaluate whether those reasons are valid,” he added.

Meanwhile, Rep. Javier Miguel Benitez (Negros Occidental, 3rd District), a co-author of the House version of the postponement bill,  earlier said  no final decision has been reached in the House of Representatives and a decision  will depend on the final vote of the majority.*

[sibwp_form id=1]
Exit mobile version