Digicast Negros

NIR under Signal No. 1, more than 11,000 NegOcc residents preemptively evacuated  

Strong wind at the Sipalay City beachfront on Sunday afternoon*Screengrab from Dionelo Bogtae video

More than 11,000 residents in Negros Occidental were preemptively evacuated from high-risk areas on Sunday, November 9, to prevent loss of lives as Super Typhoon “Uwan” rains and winds hit the Visayas and Luzon.

The state weather bureau PAGASA raised Signal No. 1 over Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental, and Siquijor on Sunday.

As of Sunday night 11,321 residents (3,281 families) in 11 local government units in Negros Occidental had been evacuated, Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office head Irene Bel Ploteña said.

The initial report said evacuated in Hinigaran were 2,931 residents, Escalante City – 1,516,  Silay City – 179, San Enrique –  2,134,  Cauayan – 243,  Hinoba-an – 146, EB Magalona – 540, Talisay City – 2,205, Bago City – 611, Toboso – 298 and Pontevedra – 518.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government and the Philippine National Police on Sunday reminded all local government units and police personnel that saving lives is the top priority.

During preemptive or forced evacuations, local officials must lead with both firmness and compassion, the DILG said.

All means of persuasion must be used to convince residents to move to safer ground. Explain clearly that evacuation is a measure to protect lives, not to take away their rights or property, it said.

If residents still refuse despite repeated warnings and imminent danger, LGUs and the PNP are authorized to enforce mandatory evacuation in accordance with Republic Act No. 10121 and the Local Government Code. Actions must be done peacefully, respectfully, and with proper documentation.

Ensure that transportation, shelter, food, and medical aid are ready for evacuees, with priority for the elderly, children, and persons with disabilities, the DILG said.

The DILG and PNP called  on all local leaders to act quickly and humanely.

“Protect every Filipino life. No one should be left behind,” DILG said.*

[sibwp_form id=1]
Exit mobile version
Skip to toolbar