Digicast Negros

Evacuees return home after NPA, Army clashes

Tanjay Mayor Jose Pepe Orlino talks to evacuees at the gymnasium in Barangay Sto. Niño.*

About 45 families, or 152 individuals, have returned to their homes in a remote village in Tanjay City, Negros Oriental, days after the weekend clashes between government troops and the New People’s Army (NPA).

Brig. Gen. Jason Jumawan, commander of the Philippine Army’s 302nd Infantry Brigade, said on Wednesday, Feb. 18, that he has assured Tanjay City Mayor Pepe Orlino of the safety of residents of Sitio Canggabi in Barangay Sto. Niño.

“I talked to Mayor Orlino already and told him that residents in Sitio Canggabi have nothing to fear as the encounter sites are not populated and far from their homes and farms,” Jumawan said.

As of Wednesday, no more evacuees were reported at the Sto. Niño barangay gymnasium, where they sought shelter on Sunday immediately after the skirmishes.

Orlino said on social media that city health officials, the City Social Welfare and Development Office, and the local police proceeded to the temporary shelter site to assist internally displaced persons (IDPs).

Food packs, medicines, and mental health and psychosocial support were provided to the IDPs.

Meanwhile, Jumawan said military operations continue with the brigade seeking the assistance of other Army units in Negros Occidental to track down the NPA remnants responsible for the death and injury of two soldiers of the 11th Infantry Battalion.

On Sunday, at least four gunfights took place between 11th IB troopers and seven to 10 remnants of the NPA’s dismantled South East Front and South West Front at Sitio Canggabi.

Cpl. Renold Gardose, 29, of Barangay Artuz, Tapaz, Capiz, was killed in action, while PFC Janes Tyrone Lozano, 28, of Riverside, Bohol, suffered an injury.

The Army said Canggabi residents had earlier reported an armed group conducting house-to-house visits and convening them at night in what Jumawan said appears to be attempts to recruit or regain their mass base.

Jumawan reiterated that they will not allow this to happen in Negros Oriental, and will continue their operations to pursue the NPA remnants.*PNA

[sibwp_form id=1]
Exit mobile version
Skip to toolbar